[MAGAZINE/TRANSLATION] L’Officiel Italia MAY 2018 – Krystal Jung

Krystal Jung

by Daniela Liucci

12.06.2018

She is only 24 years old, but she has consolidated experiences in successful films and music. Born in America, she lives in Seoul with her family and her celebrity-sister, with whom she shares her passion for K-pop.
Question: On a scale of 1 to 10, how much do you like your life at the moment?
Answer: 6!
When you think of a K-pop star, the "made in South Korea arts package, in which every element of a song - lyrics, choreographies, facial expressions, body movement is cared for in detail", the first image that comes to mind is the mass production of toy soldiers trained in show business. Raised as a child to sing, dance, act, pose and be beautiful. To become idols. To serve a fan audience that worships them as deities.
Yet, something that's exclaiming is that stage-name Krystal - real name Chrystal Soo Jung - opens a new perspective.
At the age of 24, she boasts a veteran curriculum: a member of two bands, f(x) and SM The Ballad, actress ("Prison Playbook", "The Bride of Habek", "My Lovely Girl"), model. In 2011 she also won Kiss & Cry, a celebrity talent show for non-professional skaters.
I did not dream of becoming an artist. I did not audition, the agency just asked me to go to their office for a casting. From that moment, it was a constant onslaught of commitments. The more I worked, the more I enjoyed myself. I did not even think about being successful.
Just with this, a mere mortal would give herself a ten, but not her. "I don't settle down easily. It's not depression or being hypocritical. It's just that with every good feedback or compliment I tell myself, 'Well, maybe I was good'. I like to achieve results." The next step is to give shape to a quivering desire: "I want to live freely". She says while posing, with a smile and a hint of obsession to the earrings, like the impossibility of choosing between milk and dark chocolate, or the essential choice of the moisturizing cream in her daily beauty routine, the creative works that she would have done as alternatives: architect, photographer, interior designer.
(Adopted) daughters of the South Korean culture preaches absolute perfection in life as in work and physical appearance, Krystal is in the middle, suspending in the air between past and future.
"Korean artists are always busy. That's fine with me, I have been working in this field for many years. Recently I was lucky enough to manage myself and spare some free time. I found a way to relax more. I also learned how to let go. I no longer get upset by negativity or malicious comments online. And I'm learning to acknowledge new ideas and apply them in my life."
Towards the end of the year 2000, during a family vacation in Seoul - her family had emigrated to San Francisco at that time, where Krystal was born - her older sister Jessica (ex Girls' Generation and now a soloist),  was selected by one of the largest entertainment agencies. They wanted her too, but her parents thought she was too young.  A few years later their concern dissolved and the rest was history. "I did not dream of becoming an artist. I did not audition, the agency just asked me to go to their office for a casting. From that moment, it was a constant onslaught of commitments. The more I worked, the more I enjoyed myself. I did not even think about being successful. After all, I had a normal childhood".
Her sister has always been her mentor-partner. Together in 2014, they were the protagonists of a reality show, Jessica & Krystal. "It's great to be able to rely on her and feel protected. She tells me: 'Ok, I've been there before, I'll explain how it should be done.' Working with her doubles the fun. And there is no time for boredom." Boredom is a word that often comes up time and time again, with a non-negative and relative meaning, a possible condition necessary for existence. "When I meet my longtime friends, many of whom study in the USA, we do nothing. We meet up, eat something, and go home. It's extraordinary to have friends who just like being together. It's the same with my parents. We laugh, talk, and go out for dinner. They are also critical, but never too ruthless".
She smiles and one wonders why the media often describe her as cold and haughty. Krystal possesses a peculiar vibe that is not made up but a natural condition. "The public sees me as an independent young woman. I do not know where they deduce it from, because I do not want to look like this. I do everything myself, but I also have a sweeter side. Everyone has a personality of two faces, don't they?"  The sense of dualism in her is innate. "I am bicultural, Korean and American. I never give weight to either side, but it still emerges from my way of thinking and attitude. Actually, I should define myself as being multicultural, since in the USA there is a diverse culture. And my tastes reflect all of them." This kind of variety brightens up her future. "I have never thought about where I want to go or what I want to achieve. Do you think about them? Life is a continuous flow. I follow the flow. I also try to do my best in every area of work in front of people around me. I want to travel as much as possible." For now, the score of 10 can wait.







_MG_1910_RGB.jpg

_MG_2285_RGB.jpg

_MG_1633_RGB.jpg_MG_1473_RGB.jpg

_MG_2118_RGB.jpg

Hair stylist Seonyeong Lee
Make up artist Hyejin Jang@SAMCHIC using CLIO
Casting, location and production bdot
Assistant stylist Ah Reum Kim
Talent stylist Yejin Kim

Download: Mega (9P+1V) | 39.4 MB

Source: https://www.lofficielitalia.com/pop-culture/krystal-jung

References: [ENG] lisa9rai via sstawl@Twitter; [CHN] 郑秀晶吧@Weibo; [CHN] Ellie-jo@Weibo (Also asked a friend who understood Italian)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[COMPILATION] Onstyle "Jessica & Krystal" Background Music Playlist

Lifetime Jessica & Krystal - US Road Trip Places Visited

[LYRICS/TRANSLATION] Sister Who Make Waves S3 Theme Song "乘风" (Ride Winds)